Women Trying ...

This is a collection of thoughts from women trying to **fill in the blank here**.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Glen Onoko


Brian left at 6:30 a.m. this morning to go to a football meeting. All the coaches meet on Sunday morning to review film of the upcoming Friday night opponent.

So, instead of sitting around the house because that's the easy thing to do with two little active boys (active is my new synonym for BAD), I took them into Jim Thorpe and we spent a few hours at Glen Onoko. It's the access area for white water rafting, tubing, biking and hiking up to the falls. The signs at the park told the story of an Indian maid who jumped off the falls to her death because she was forbidden to marry her one true love.

The really interesting thing for me is that there was a huge hotel somewhere in the woods there that attracted thousands of tourists in the early 1900s. The hotel burned but there were lots of little service shops and picnic tables. It looked really cool.

We hiked up the opposite side of the access area and Jacob climbed up the rocks. I was so nervous. But, I did take a picture. It's the one above. We then walked down the side of the mountain along the path and then had to turn around at the bottom. That was fun. Mooommmm, can you hold me? Moooommm, can we go home? Mooooommm, I'm tired.

We made it back and then the boys had a blast throwing rocks into the river. They pretended the little rocks were kids and the big rocks were lifeguards jumping in after the kids.

The boys had so much fun that after we ate some lunch at home we brought daddy and Makeva back down.

It feels pretty good to finally be experiencing some of the recreation available to us.



Today's Summary:
1. Nature is fun. We looked for red leaves.
2. Nature is free.
3. It doesn't matter if they fall in the water. Clothes dry.
4. Boys love to throw rocks.
5. I have to get out of the house more on the weekends with the boys. People understand if you punish them in public.

1 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Lynn said…

    Sounds like Purgatory Chasm, in MA. Really cool place, from what I hear. That was one of my "I'm going to do that this summer" things I didn't do.

    Damn. Try again. This year seemed to be full of em!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home