Women Trying ...

This is a collection of thoughts from women trying to **fill in the blank here**.

Monday, September 04, 2006

All things Japanese


One of the most magical things of my life was a short visit to Japan several years ago. It was a business trip for my husband who had been there before and knew I would love it. My expectations were definitely neutral, but I am always up for a trip anywhere.

What emerged was an enchantment I am at a loss to adequately explain. Of course, the contrasts between the city and countryside are dramatic. But what I failed to understand was the affinity I would immediately have for the Japanese people. They fascinated me, and I walked around with an irrepressable smile of wonder and delight, as the trip unfolded for us. As a lover of plants and flowers, I was impressed with the amazing attention to detail they applied to everything regarding nature. Trees took on new meaning, as I saw the form and shape they took under patient and studied pruning. Median strips for miles down a highway were lined with carefully clipped bushes, or identical conical trees. The Ginko tree has fan-shaped leaves that remind one of the graceful dancers who use fans with such artistry.

Once out of Tokyo, the countryside was incredibly naturally beautiful. It was unavoidable to see the connection between the flora all around and their depictions on delicately painted porcelain one sees.

We were taken to several temples, and although Shinto is the national religion, Buddhism is a partner-religion in many instances. One will be married in a Shinto ceremony, but Buddhist rites will prevail at ones funeral. And Buddhism really appeals to me now. Many years ago, I bought a stone Buddah which has had a secluded place of honor in my yard. I am Catholic, and the idea of putting a statue of Jesus, or the Blessed Virgin or a crucifix in my yard is entirely out of the question, and I can't really explain why. Maybe it is a social custom thing. Anyway, statue Buddah has been around me for 30 years, without my giving it much thought beyond that I was drawn to it.

Now, in Japan, I am seeing Buddah's handiwork and beginning to understand that I can participate in a less-than-complete sense without compromising my Christianity. Buddism is a religion without a diety. Buddah was only a wise man. To honor Buddah, one must strive for a state of mind and spirit that respects all things. I am quite sure this is compatible with the teachings of Christ. It eschews the material, and at times is counter-intuitive, but it brings me a sense of peace like nothing else does. Remembering to practice it is the hard part.

If I have a dreamy smile for no apparent reason, it may be because I am back there, in Autumn, gazing on a lovely reflecting pond, remembering the feeling when part of me was awakened for the very first time.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:25 AM, Blogger Lynn said…

    Buddism is something I'd like to practice "better" and understand more.

    I am so IMPATIENT (really????) yet my fundmental thought process does really believe that it is all interlinked and connected and I want to "feel" that, as much for myself as those around me who put up with my ...well, impatience!

    "ooohhhhmmmmmmmmmmmm......now CLICK, Gahd'damnit!"

     

Post a Comment

<< Home